AltaLink’s Response to the COVID-19 Virus
March 19, 2020
During the unprecedented times brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, keeping our employees safe and keeping the lights on continues to be our commitment to Albertans.
Our transmission system is the essential link that connects homes, farms, businesses and industries to reliable, affordable electricity generated across Alberta. Our teams are working hard to make sure you have the energy you need when you need it most.
Since January, a dedicated team has been working to closely monitor the rapidly changing COVID-19 situation to ensure the safety of our employees and our operations.
To maintain the health and safety of all of our employees, and for the people that rely on the energy our transmission system provides, we’ve implemented additional safety measures, including:
- Restricting external visitors to AltaLink offices and AltaLink’s Control Centre operations
- Restricting all business-related travel for AltaLink personnel
- Enhancing our workplace cleaning practices
- Postponing all customer events
- Limiting our face-to-face contact with our customers, stakeholders, and external parties by conducting teleconference meetings
This is a rapidly changing situation, and we’ll continue to work with health authorities, government officials, and industry as new information becomes available.
We live and work in the communities we serve, and we know this is a challenging time. Our commitment remains with you and ensuring the lights stay on, and you have the electricity you need.
Tips for staying safe and healthy
Viruses are known to be spread by respiratory droplets. Here are some things you can do to ensure you stay healthy and avoid spreading viruses, including the following practices:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Cough or sneeze into your sleeve and not your hands
- Avoid shaking hands
- Stay at home if you can