Medicine Hat 138 kV Transmission Project
The routes in this map represent potential route options. If the project is approved, only one line will be built.
The Medicine Hat 138 kV Transmission Project is part of an area transmission development called the Southern Alberta Transmission Reinforcement (SATR). This reinforcement includes new transmission lines and upgrades to the electric system in southern Alberta. These projects will connect new wind-generated power to Alberta's electric system and strengthen the transmission system in the area.
The proposed project includes:
- building a new 138 kV (138, 000 volts) double circuit transmission line approximately 45 to 55 kilometres in length from the existing Bullshead Substation to the proposed Bowmanton Substation
- upgrading the existing single circuit 138 kV transmission line by removing the existing line between the existing Medicine Hat and Chappice Lake substations and constructing a new double circuit 138 kV line in its place
- removing and adding of some new structures In the immediate area around the Bullshead and Medicine Hat substations
- building a new 138 kV single circuit transmission line approximately 800 metres in length to connect the proposed Bowmanton Substation to the Chappice Lake Substation
- adding new equipment to the proposed Bowmanton Substation and the existing Medicine Hat, Bullshead and Chappice Lake substations to accommodate the proposed new transmission lines
Anticipated project schedule
Although we attempt to follow the anticipated project schedule it is subject to change. We will continue to provide you with updated schedule information as the project progresses.
||File application with the Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC)
Newsletters and maps