AltaLink is proposing to upgrade its transmission system in the Red Deer, Wetaskiwin and Didsbury areas to make sure that residents and businesses continue to have a reliable supply of electricity for years to come.
This project includes:
- upgrading six substations
- rebuilding approximately 75 kilometres of existing transmission lines
- building three new substations
- building approximately 50 kilometres of new transmission lines
- removing approximately 100 kilometres of existing transmission lines
The proposed Red Deer Area Transmission Development is divided into five stages.
- Stage 1 – substation upgrades: upgrading six substations
- Stage 2 – transmission line rebuilds: rebuilding nearly 75 kilometres of existing transmission lines in the Red Deer and Sylvan Lake areas
- Stage 3 – new substations and transmission lines: building new substations near Ponoka, Innisfail and Didsbury and building approximately 50 kilometres of new transmission lines near the substations and east of Lacombe
- Stage 4 – removing existing transmission lines: removing approximately 75 kilometres of transmission line from Wetaskiwin to Lacombe and approximately 25 kilometres of transmission line from Red Deer to Innisfail
- Stage 5 – 166L transmission line rebuild: rebuilding approximately 15 kilometres of existing transmission line and upgrading an existing substation near Didsbury
Listen to our radio advertisements...
Highway 2 lane closures and speed reductions near the City of Red Deer: July 2015
Lane closures and speed reductions will allow for the safe construction of the transmission line near Highway 2 and 32nd Street. We thank you for your patience throughout the construction process. Traffic controls and signage will be used to help direct the flow of highway traffic near 32nd Street during the following times:
July 20: Speed will be reduced to 80 km/h from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. for both directions of traffic
July 21: Speed will be reduced to 80 km/h from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. for both directions of traffic
July 22: Speed will be reduced to 80 km/h from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. for both directions of traffic
July 23: Speed will be reduced to 80 km/h from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. for both directions of traffic
July 24: Speed will be reduced to 80 km/h from 8 a.m. to noon for both directions of traffic
Lane closures in the City of Red Deer: May/June 2015
To allow for the safe construction of the transmission line near Taylor Drive and 54th Avenue we will require periodic lane closures. We thank you for your patience throughout the construction process. Traffic controls and signage will be used to help direct the flow of traffic during the following times:
- Saturday, May 23rd and Sunday, May 24th
Potential lane diversions on Taylor Drive near 54th Avenue throughout the weekend.
- Monday, May 25th
A single right lane closure for northbound Taylor Drive near 54th Avenue will begin at 8:00 a.m. This will change to dual right lane closures after 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 26th to Saturday, May 30th
Dual right lane closures for northbound Taylor Drive near 54th Avenue will begin at 8:00 a.m. This will be reduced to a single lane closure after 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 24th
Dual right lane closures for northbound Taylor Drive near 54th Avenue from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Path and lane closures in the City of Red Deer May, 2015
In early May we plan to begin removing the existing portion of the 80L transmission line in the Riverlands and West Park areas. This work will take place along the riverbank southwest of Taylor Drive to the area just north of Welton Crescent and along Walker Boulevard towards Highway 2. During construction there will be periodic pathway and lane closures in the Riverlands and West Park areas.
- Walker Boulevard traffic will be reduced to one lane while work is taking place in the area. Parking along Walker Boulevard will not be allowed during this time.
Helicopter activity in the City of Red Deer March 21-23, 2015 (weather dependent) AltaLink will be using a helicopter to install bird diverters on a section of transmission line over the Red Deer River. This section of transmission line is located directly west of the southbound 50 Avenue bridge.
This work is part of AltaLink's Avian Protection Plan, a management system designed to reduce the impact our transmission facilities can have on birds. AltaLink was the first Canadian utility to develop such a plan.
Pathway closures in the City of Red Deer March 9-20, 2015
- pathway closures from Taylor Drive on the south side of the Red Deer River, west to the pathway entrance at Warwick Drive
Helicopter activity in the City of Red Deer week of February 16, 2015
Starting on Monday, February 16 AltaLink will be using a helicopter in the City of Red Deer between the areas of 82 Street and 67 Street (just north of Parsons Close). A specialized helicopter will be used to fly assembled transmission structures into place for the rebuild of the existing 80L transmission line. Helicopters can reduce the amount of time required to complete work in the area and minimize the amount of construction traffic and workspace area required along the right-of-way.
The activity will take place during daylight hours. It is only expected to take a couple of days, depending on the weather conditions.
To ensure the safety of the public during helicopter activity, there will be periodic lane closures and traffic stoppages at the following locations:
- 45 Avenue
- 47 Avenue
- Northland Drive
- Parsons Close
- 77 Street
Path and lane closures in the City of Red Deer February 9-15, 2015
- pathway closures on either side of Gaetz Avenue, crossing the river
- single lane closure on west bound Riverside Drive (in the area between the Lion's Campground and 46a Avenue
- single land closure on 58 Street just west of Gaetz Avenue
Implosive connectors in Red Deer County February 8-13, 2015
Construction activities are underway on rebuilding the 648L and 637L transmission lines between Benalto and southwest Red Deer.
If you live or work near the project, you may hear some loud explosive sounds over the next few weeks and months. During the wire stringing process we will be fusing portions of wire together using implosions. The implosions do not pose a safety risk to surrounding residences; however, they will emit a loud explosive sound. There should not be more than a few loud explosive sounds on days when this work is scheduled to occur. This work will be completed during day light hours only. Thank you for your patience.
Periodic lane and trail closures in the City of Red Deer
Construction activities are underway in the City of Red Deer to rebuild the existing 80L transmission line between the areas of 82 Street and Taylor Drive.
As a result of some of the construction activities, there will be periodic single lane closures, speed reductions and momentary traffic stoppages to ensure the safety of commuters along these areas:
- North and south bound Riverside Drive
- East bound 58 Street
- North and south bound Gaetz Avenue crossing the Red Deer River
- Either direction on 67 Street crossing Riverside Drive
- 46 Avenue between Riverside Drive and 63 Street
- The roundabout near 54 Avenue and 55 Street
- Either direction on 77 Street
- Parsons Close
There will also be trail closures required at times at these locations:
- Trans Canada Trail Bridge (from the east side of the Red Deer River to the west side of the Red Deer River)
- Pathways on the northwest side of the Red Deer River on either side of the Gaetz Avenue Bridge
- Mountain bike paths crossing the right-of-way north and east of the Mountain Bike Park
- South of 77 Street to Parsons Close
Activities between 67 Street and Taylor Drive are expected to be complete in mid February 2015. Activities between 67 Street and 82 Street are expected to be complete in Spring 2015. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Read AltaLink's letter to the editor of the Red Deer Advocate - printed on Friday, October 10, 2014
There has been some misinformation in the public recently about AltaLink's Red Deer Area Transmission Development. On October 7, 2014 AltaLink submitted a letter to the editor in order to clarify details about the project and AltaLink's processes, especially with respect to the portion of the project that goes through the Pines neighbourhood in the City of Red Deer.
- AltaLink letter to the editor - Red Deer Advocate
- Photo: Existing Parsons Close view
- Photo: New Parsons Close view
New transmission line east of Lacombe (423L)
As part of Stage 3 of the development, AltaLink is also proposing to build a new transmission line, called 423L, east of Lacombe. AltaLink included this component in the original application that was filed with the AUC but we are continuing to look at our options for the proposed new transmission line. As a result, the AUC has postponed its consideration of the 423L component. AltaLink is continuing to communicate with stakeholders near the proposed 423L transmission line as the project progresses and we submitted a revised application to the AUC for the 423L project on October 6, 2014.