AltaLink is proposing to upgrade its transmission system in the Red Deer, Wetaskiwin and Didsbury areas to make sure that residents and businesses continue to have a reliable supply of electricity for years to come.
This project includes:
- upgrading six substations
- rebuilding approximately 75 kilometres of existing transmission lines
- building three new substations
- building approximately 50 kilometres of new transmission lines
- removing approximately 100 kilometres of existing transmission lines
The proposed Red Deer Area Transmission Development is divided into five stages.
- Stage 1 – substation upgrades: upgrading six substations
- Stage 2 – transmission line rebuilds: rebuilding nearly 75 kilometres of existing transmission lines in the Red Deer and Sylvan Lake areas
- Stage 3 – new substations and transmission lines: building new substations near Ponoka, Innisfail and Didsbury and building approximately 50 kilometres of new transmission lines near the substations and east of Lacombe
- Stage 4 – removing existing transmission lines: removing approximately 75 kilometres of transmission line from Wetaskiwin to Lacombe and approximately 25 kilometres of transmission line from Red Deer to Innisfail
- Stage 5 – 166L transmission line rebuild:rebuilding approximately 15 kilometres of existing transmission line and upgrading an existing substation near Didsbury
Listen to our radio advertisements...
Street lane and pathway closures, along with other important project information, can be found on this page during the construction process.