The Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) has identified the need to reinforce the transmission system in the Leduc, Parkland and Strathcona Counties, as well as the Greater Edmonton area. These areas have grown significantly in recent years and the demand for electricity has increased.
The South and West of Edmonton Area Transmission Development will allow the transmission system to meet the increased electricity demand in the area. This development will help support industrial power demands and ensure residences continue to have a reliable supply of power.
AltaLink is working on several projects in the area, as part of the South and West of Edmonton Area Transmission Development, to make sure your lights come on at the flick of the switch.
Current projects include the following:
- Saunders Lake Substation and Transmission Lines project
- Harry Smith Substation and Transmission Lines project
- Cooking Lake Transmission Line and Substation Upgrade
- Leduc Substation Capacitor Bank Addition
- Camrose Radio Telecommunications Tower Upgrade
- Bardo Telecommunications Upgrade