We look forward to meeting with stakeholders and learning more about how, together, we can find the best locations for our facilities.
AltaLink identifies potential locations for new transmission lines or substations through a combination of technical research (including mapping study, residence counts and identification of possible routing constraints), environmental study and stakeholder consultation.
Prior to public consultation we develop a series of preliminary route options. The factors below are used when we identify potential route options:
- areas of high residential density
- environmentally sensitive areas
- existing infrastructure such as oil and gas facilities and telecommunication sites
- other transmission lines, quarter lines or section lines
How can you be involved in the process?
AltaLink is committed to an open, respectful and thorough consultation program. We work to identify routes with the lowest overall impact on landowners and the environment. Stakeholder input is crucial throughout this process.
- We host open houses and meet with landowners one-on-one to collect input about the preliminary routes.
- We take into consideration the stakeholder input and other technical and environmental information to help us refine the routes.
- Depending on the project, we may complete a subsequent round of consultation on the refined routes. If this second round occurs, we will update the information package for community members and once again host open houses and one-on-one meetings.
- For most projects, we determine preferred and alternate routes that we believe have the lowest overall impact. The preferred and alternate routes will be included in our application so that the Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) has different route options to review.
- We communicate with the community about those routes and file a Facilities Application with the AUC.
If you believe you have not received a satisfactory response through your normal contacts, or you do not know who to call, please contact:
Toll Free: 1-877-380-0303