Working around power lines
AltaLink operates approximately 13,000 kilometres of transmission lines and 300 substations. Our transmission lines are located on rights-of-way, in road allowances, or on highway rights-of-way.
If you are planning work within an AltaLink right-of-way, or in proximity to AltaLink lines or substations, then a crossing agreement or other written approval may be required.
Whether or not approval or coordination is required to support your activities or development depends on the scope and location of your work. We recommend that you contact AltaLink if your plan includes:
- Constructing buildings, street lights, or other objects within 30 metres of an AltaLink transmission line
- Storage of material or vehicles within 30 metres of an AltaLink transmission line
- Excavating or adding fill material within 20 metres of an AltaLink transmission tower, or within 10 metres of AltaLink utility poles, anchors, or underground transmission lines
- Work activities which involve equipment operating within 15 metres of an AltaLink transmission pole or tower, or which may come within 7 metres of an AltaLink overhead transmission line
- Activities crossing through, or within an AltaLink easement, right-of-way, or lease
- Moving overheight loads (over 5.3 metre tall) under an AltaLink transmission line on a public road or highway